By Neepa Sevak
An embarrassing condition that makes sitting uncomfortable, hemorrhoids, also known as piles, is an extremely common ailment that people suffer from these days. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the rectum or anus, an opening through which stool passes. Hemorrhoids can be of two types: internal and external.
Internal hemorrhoids occur higher up in the anal canal and are not noticeable to the eye until they droop. They are graded according to their position. Bleeding is the only symptom of internal hemorrhoids.
Types of Hemorrhoids
- First-degree or grade 1 piles are small swellings on the inside lining of the anal canal. They cannot be seen or felt from outside the anus.
- Second-degree or grade 2 piles are larger and suspend from the anus during a bowel movement, but return inside afterwards by themselves.
- Third-degree or grade 3 piles are similar to grade 2 but exit inside only when pushed back with a finger.
- Fourth-degree or grade 4 piles permanently suspend from the anus and cannot be forced back inside.
External Hemorrhoids is a small lump that develops on the outside edge of the anus. They are less common than internal hemorrhoids.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
- Straining to have a bowel movement
- Diarrhea for a long time
- Increased pressure on rectal or anal veins during pregnancy and childbirth.
- Heavy weight lifting
- Inadequate exercise and a sedentary lifestyle.
- Fluid collection in the abdomen
- Tumors in the pelvis
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
- Anal itching and burning
- Blood in stool
- Feeling of a lump in the anus or hanging outside the anus
Homeopathic Approach to Hemorrhoids
Homeopathy provides rapid relief for the pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids. Homeopathic remedies have astringent, anti-inflammatory, pain relieving and laxative properties. Homeopathic remedies not only control bleeding, itching, pain and soothe internal or external inflamed tissues but will actually eliminate Hemorrhoids completely. Homeopathy provides an inexpensive, safe, natural, noninvasive and more curative approach for hemorrhoids and can also be used in pregnant women. Constitutional homeopathic treatment under the supervision of an experienced homeopathic practitioner can enhance the strength and tone of the rectal and anal veins facilitating a person to avoid surgery and also overcome the tendency towards hemorrhoids by treating the constipation and also healing the wound on the rectal veins. Self Care Measures for Hemorrhoids
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Avoid constipation by adding more fiber to your diet like fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables and whole grain breads.
- Respond immediately to the bowel movement urge and do not sit on the toilet for longer than necessary.
- Keep the anal area clean.
- Do not use dry toilet paper, use moist towelette or wet toilet paper after a bowel movement.
- To relieve pain take warm water sitz baths.
- Use ice packs to relieve swelling of external hemorrhoids.
- Exercise regularly.
- Try to loose excess weight.
- Modify your daily activities. Lie down periodically to decrease pressure in your anal area.
Hence, you can rely on homeopathic treatment for instant relief of pain and discomfort from hemorrhoids and to prevail over the tendency towards hemorrhoids.