By Neepa Sevak
Are you worried on how your child manipulates the mood in your house? Normal parenting is not easy, but raising a child who feeds on expressing rage can be even more challenging. Even the best-behaved children can be moody, argumentative and challenging at times. However, if your child or teen has an enduring pattern of tantrums, anger, unreasonably defiant, hostile or disruptive behaviors affecting their family, social and academic life, he or she may have a medical condition called Oppositional Defiant Disorder or ODD. Children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder exhibit complex behaviors to the level that it can get in the way of learning, school adjustment, and social relationships.
Causes of Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- The child’s inherited personality
- Parent’s criticism to their child's behavior
- Lack of supervision, abuse, indiscipline increases the risk of ODD
- A biochemical or neurological factor.
- Having a parent with alcohol or substance abuse disorder
- Unsatisfactory rapport with parents
- Insecurity from parents divorce, several moves, or changing schools frequently
- Having a parent with ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder or behavior problems.
- Financial problems in the family
- Exposure to violence
- Substance abuse in the child
Symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Hostile behavior
- Temper tantrums
- Very emotional
- Rebellious and disregards rules set by adults
- Infuriates people deliberately
- Violent, harsh and disrespectful
- Always blaming others.
- Is pessimistic, angry, malicious and revengeful.
- Stubborn, rigid and demanding
- Impairment in social and academic functioning
Homeopathic Approach to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Homeopathy offers a convincing solution for Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Homeopathic treatment of ODD is constitutional, taking a more holistic look at the individual. Every disease is considered as a mind-body process where each individuals personality traits are as important as their physical symptoms thus taking into account their diet, lifestyle, personality, surroundings and emotional factors. Natural remedies are used to effectively treat the symptoms, helping the child to heal and to reach a state of balance and health. Homeopathic remedies are safe, natural, inexpensive and highly effective. Homeopathic remedies can formulate a positive change in children suffering from these distressing states of mind, emotions and behavior. Homeopathy can facilitate the patients to be less hostile, much more accommodating, easier to live with, more capable of dealing with stressful situations, able to control anger, less oppositional or destructive. After a constitutional homeopathic treatment patients become more realistic, much less reactive and more agreeable to explanations. The traits of distractibility, impulsivity, and hyperactivity become much more controllable. Physical struggle with parents, siblings, schoolmates, and friends, lying, stealing and hurting others becomes significantly less frequent, as homeopathic remedies help develop a better sense of right and wrong. Children treated successfully with homeopathy can truly be called rage-free kids. Their parents, family members, teachers, and friends can finally go back to living a more normal life.
Self Care Measures
- Give effective timeouts.
- Avoid power struggle with your child.
- Remain peaceful when your child argues with you.
- Commend your child’s constructive characteristics and good behaviors.
- Allow your child some amount of control with suitable choices.
- Limit consequences to those that can be repeatedly reinforced.
- Schedule more family activities together.
- Model the behavior you want your child to have.
- Attain support from your spouse and your child’s teachers.
Hence, to successfully cope with your child's defiant behavior, temper tantrums and teach them how to curb their temper and learn how to live peacefully in your home, at school, and in the world you should consider homeopathy.