By Neepa Sevak
Do you have mood swings or are you experiencing unpleasant symptoms in a week or two before menstruating? Then you are suffering from a condition called Premenstrual syndrome. Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a group of physical and emotional symptoms that occurs within the week or 10 days just before a woman's menstrual period begins and decreases or disappears in the initial days of your period. PMS may interfere with your normal activities at home, school or work. At least 30 percent of women suffer from PMS and probably every woman at some time in her menstrual history has experienced it in varying degrees.
Causes of PMS
The causes of PMS could be a combination of physiological, hereditary predisposition, nutritional, and emotional factors. Some women may be more sensitive than others to changing hormone levels during the menstrual cycle. As symptoms vary so much from woman to woman, it is likely that each has a different etiology. Stress does not seem to cause PMS, but may make it worse. PMS occurs in 30% to 40% of all women from 19 to 45 years of age. The highest risk group is women who are between the ages of 25 and 35.
Symptoms of PMS
PMS symptoms are psychological, behavioral and physical. The most common symptoms are:
- Breast swelling and tenderness
- Headache, and joint or muscle pain
- Swelling of extremities
- Mood swings and crying spells
- Depression, sadness, anxiety, anger and irritability
- Changes in energy level and trouble sleeping
- Upset stomach, nausea, bloating, constipation or diarrhea
- Appetite changes or food cravings (esp. for salty or sweet foods)
- Trouble concentrating or remembering
- Dizziness or fainting
- Heart pounding
- Skin symptoms like acne, oily skin, oily or dry hair
- Aggravation of symptoms of existing condition like migraine, epilepsy, asthma, or urticaria
Homeopathic Approach to PMS
Homeopathy offers a wider range of options than Conventional medicine. Natural therapy like homeopathy is the safest and well recommended treatment for PMS because it stimulates the natural hormonal balance without the use of harmful drugs. Homeopathic treatment is individually geared to each woman’s condition and constitution by treating her at the mental, emotional, and physical levels which makes it a popular alternative for PMS discomforts.
For a woman who consistently suffers from PMS, a well-prescribed constitutional remedy from a homeopath can help end her suffering after a detailed medical history which is necessary to insure that there are no other problems such as thyroid disease, diabetes, or any other condition which may imitate PMS.
Homeopathic treatment along with healthy living can minimize the changes that happen during this period. Hence, constitutional homeopathic treatment with the management of an experienced and professional homeopath is an excellent choice for PMS symptoms. The goal of this homeopathic approach is to enliven the body's natural healing and self-repair ability to not only help cure PMS, but also to treat the underlying condition and to prevent it and create the highest state of health and well-being. Homeopathic remedies are also non–habit forming and have no addictive characteristics. You will be amazed how homeopathic medicine can heal your health problems, boost your immune system, increase your energy, and help you feel happy and more alive.
Self Care Measures
Along with homeopathic treatment, adopting a healthier lifestyle may help you feel better and cope with symptoms.
- Exercise regularly, don't smoke, and find ways to manage stress in your life.
- Try avoiding excess salt to prevent bloating.
- Aim for a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. It may help to cut down on fat which can encourage breast swelling.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, as both can cause mood swings.
- Do not skip meals. Follow a regular meal schedule to maintain a more stable blood-sugar level.
- Eat a balanced diet that is low in refined sugars.
- Try to get a good night's sleep. Avoid staying up all night.
Homeopathy is reassuring and helpful for both physical and emotional aspects of PMS, and most women, in addition to relief from their discomforts, experience an enhancement in self-awareness and well being after the treatment. Thus you can rely on homeopathy to achieve optimal health during PMS. In conclusion, homeopathy can present good health to women in all stages of their lives from infancy through old age. It is of assistance in all sorts of emotional, mental and physical problems that a woman is likely to experience, and can help her through the transitional and developmental milestones of her life.