By Neepa Sevak
Have you observed that certain areas of your skin fail to tan in summer and look like discolored hypo or hyper-pigmented patches, in that case, you probably are afflicted by a fungal infection named tinea versicolor or pityriasis versicolor? Tinea versicolor is a skin condition initiated by an overgrowth of malassezia furfur, also known as pityrosporum orbiculare, a yeast that makes its home on the skin’s surface. This yeast transforms to a pathogenic form, roves under the skin, producing azelaic acid, which turns off melanin producing cells in the skin. The yeast colonizes in the pores of the skin and thrives in oily areas such as the face, neck, shoulders, chest, back and folds of skin such as arms, skin under the breasts or groins. This overgrowth outcome is a fungal infection that causes patchy skin color, scaling and itching. The affected skin changes color and becomes either lighter or darker than the surrounding skin.
Causes of Tinea Versicolor
- Oily skin
- Undue sweating
- Humid climate
- Hormonal imbalance
- Low immune system
- Pregnant women and diabetics are easily prone too get this infection
- Birth control pills, antibiotic, steroid or immunosuppressant therapy
Symptoms of Tinea Versicolor
- Small, scaly, white, pink, brown or reddish brown spots on various parts of the body
- Spots may be darker or lighter than the surrounding skin
- These patches grow slowly and are more discernible after sun exposure
- Increased sweating
- Conditions that Resemble Tinea Versicolor
- Pityriasis Alba: a form of Eczema that produces patchy lightening of the skin
- Vitiligo or Leucoderma: loss of melanin pigment
Homeopathic Approach to Tinea Versicolor
Homoeopathy has shown incredibly optimistic results in cases of tinea versicolor. Homeopathy considers tinea versicolor or any skin disorders as a local expression of a system disturbance, a manifestation of an internal imbalance that needs to be treated from within. Homeopathic remedies work on strengthening your immune system which further assists in preventing infections, maintaining a clear skin, in staying robust and living a vivacious life. Homeopathy offers a comprehensive constitutional treatment, which treats the body internally and externally by getting to the root of the problem and in due course restores the hypo or hyper-pigmented patches back to the normal skin color. Homeopathic constitutional approach takes care of hyper or hypo pigmentation along with treating the person as a whole and improving the general health of the patient. Homeopathic remedies treat the fungal infection and turn on the melanin producing cells in the skin. This further improves the texture of the skin, trims down occurrence of new patches, and slowly reverts to its normal condition without leaving any pigmentation. As homeopathy treats tinea versicolor from within, when the constitutional treatment is completed satisfactorily, it is unlikely that the patches reappear again as compared to treatment with conventional medicines. Homeopathic remedies are natural, gentle, harmless, easy to take, are regulated by the FDA and prepared according to the homeopathic pharmacopeia of the United States.
Self Care Measures
- Avoid applying oily products to your skin.
- Avoid wearing tight, restrictive clothing.
- Avoid excessive heat and sweating.
- Always wear sun block lotion when exposed to sun.
- Eat a balanced healthy diet.
- Adhere to good hygiene.
- Garlic is a very good antifungal agent.
Hence, homeopathy will help safeguard your charisma and good looks by giving you relief and eventually eliminating hyper or hypo pigmentation from your skin making you free from tinea versicolor.