By Neepa Sevak
We some times eat things that we are not supposed to, which is why vomiting and diarrhea are so familiar in our life. However, if you are having vomiting and diarrhea for weeks or months you may possibly be ill with a more severe digestive problem called ulcerative colitis. This is a condition in which the internal lining of rectum and large intestine becomes progressively swollen and ulcerated. The large intestine also termed as colon is a part of the digestive system and is predominantly accountable for accumulating waste, reclaiming water, maintaining the water balance. The rectum is the ultimate segment of the large intestine concluding in the anus which also acts as a provisional storage facility for faecal matter (stool). When the entire colon is involved it is known as pancolitis, when only the rectum is affected it is labeled as ulcerative proctitis. If only the left side of the colon is entailed it is identified distal or left sided colitis.
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis
- Inherited tendency
- Atypical instigation of the immune system in the intestines
- Absence of favorable bacteria in your gastrointestinal system
- The existence of bad bacteria, yeast or parasites
- Lack of digestive enzymes especially if you have lost your gall bladder
- High fat diet
- Intolerance to dairy products, fructose and gluten containing foods
- Frequent use of antibiotics can stimulate the predisposition to this disease
- Stress and anxiety may worsen the symptoms but are not the cause of the disease
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
- Urgent, uncontrollable, frequent, loose and bloody stools
- Nausea, gas, bloating and Indigestion
- Stomach cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Night sweats
- Weight loss with low energy levels
- Skin lesions
- Joint pains
- The disease can affect nutrition causing poor growth during childhood and adolescence.
- Symptoms, if left untreated, can further complicate into anemia, septicemia and colon or rectum cancer.
Homeopathic Approach to Ulcerative Colitis
Homeopathy considers ulcerative colitis as an autoimmune ailment of the large intestine. Homeopathic constitutional treatment will reinforce the immune system by escalating the number of specialized white blood cells called T-lymphocytes that are vital in the body's defense against certain bacteria and fungi, assisting in making antibodies, and facilitating in the recognition and rejection of foreign tissues. Homeopathic remedies work as a powerful anti-inflammatory, will help eliminate diarrhea and bring the body to normal functioning level. It will rebuild and repair the protective mucosa lining throughout the digestive tract. The remedies will further soothe and recover the digestive function allowing improved absorption and assimilation of nutrients from food. Homeopathic treatment will also augment healing, prevent relapse of ulcers, improve mental and physical stress, and alter the hereditary predisposition to the disease. Homeopathic treatment comprehensively will help improve the quality of life.
Since homeopathic remedies treat in totality, it escorts to a permanent long-lasting cure, rather than a temporary suppression of symptoms. Another exceptional thing about homeopathy is that people on multiple medications can safely take homeopathic medicines. Homeopathic drugs are non-habit forming and have no addictive characteristics. Homeopathy has an exceptional proven safety record with the FDA with 200 years of clinical effectiveness.
Self Care Measures
- Eat small meals.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat a high fiber and high folic acid diet, fruits and cooked vegetables.
- Avoid diary products, meat, sugar, raw and canned vegetables.
- You can use homemade yoghurt and cottage cheese.
- You can use honey instead of sugar.
- Avoid legumes such as chick peas, bean sprouts, garbanzo beans, starchy foods like potatoes, pasta and grains such as wheat, barley, rice, etc.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoiding anal intercourse may prevent proctitis from being spread by sexual transmission.
Hence, to be able to enjoy food without disturbing your gastro-intestinal system consider homeopathy, a safe, natural, effective and long lasting answer for ulcerative colitis.